Skip to main content

What Kamala Harris's Election Means To Me

 Hi everyone, today I'll be discussing what Kamala Harris being elected as Vice-President means to me! 


(photo credits: The New York Times)

Being a Black Woman in America


Kamala Harris is the first black woman ever to be elected as Vice-President for the United States, this is a truly historic victory. As a young black girl growing up in America its amazing to see someone who looks like me in high roles in our government. A woman who looks like me will be making the laws, passing acts, and protecting human rights. That is extremely inspiring. Kamala Harris being elected is a symbol that America is being more progressive, the fact that a black woman was elected into the 2nd highest office of our country says something. 100 Years ago this year woman were granted the right to vote, and now we have a woman who was elected by the people of the United States to be our Vice President. That is so amazing, and shows that America has grown (though it still does need some work). 

(picture credits: ABC7 Los Angeles)
 

Attending an HBCU

Kamala Harris also attended a Historical Black College, which many people have stigmas around due to them thinking that PWI's are better because of the people who go to them. Many people against HBCUs describe them as being poorly funded, bad quality education, and understaffed. The fact that Kamala Harris attended Howard University and is now the Vice-President, shows that these colleges have good quality education. According to NPR Kamala says that,  "Howard taught me, as it has taught you, that you can do anything and you can do everything" (NPR 2020). The fact that Kamala describes an HBCU as something that empowered shows that these school are great and the stigmas behind them need to diminish. Kamala Harris inspired me to push to go to an HBCU, because she went and shes extremley successful today. I also want to go to a school that empowers me and pushes me, so an HBCU is the best option. 


Its amazing to see someone like Kamala Harris be in charge of our country because she's inspiring young black girls and woman everyday. Thank you American voters for electing such a history making Vice-President!

Thank You for reading, I hope you enjoyed!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Find Your Aesthetic

 Hi everyone today I'll be discussing how to find your aesthetic or individual style.  1. The Fit of Clothes The first thing that determines your aesthetic is how you want your clothing to fit for example do you like the fit of skinny jeans, baggy jeans, or flare jeans on your body. I prefer mom jeans on my body instead of a skinny jean fit. Also do you prefer your tops to fit tighter or baggy, for me I like a mix of both. How you like clothes to fit your body is big part of finding your style/aesthetic because, your clothing will be the base of your style.   (source: 7esl.com) 2. What Shoes You Like  The second thing that determines your aesthetic is what shoes you like and look good on your feet for example do you like sneakers, heels, or boots. I prefer sneakers. Along with the type of shoe you also need to figure out what style of shoe like chunky, platform, or flat sole shoes. If you're shorter maybe platform is your go to , or if you're tall maybe a more flat sole sho

Black History Month: Books

  Hi everyone today I wanted to start a little series for black history month, this series will be an appreciation to black art and people. I'm so excited for this today's post because it will be focused on books. Some of these I have not read myself yet, but I still wanted to share them with you all because I've heard they're good. I hope you all enjoy, comment which book is your favorite.  The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas: The Hate U Give is a fictional story centered around police brutality, and how it effects the main character Starr Carter. This is a book that I recommend everyone read, though it's fictional its still has a very important message. Rated: 4.5/5 on Good Reads, 5/5 on Commonsense Media, & a 4.8/5 on Audible.  I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is an autobiography about the extraordinary poet Maya Angelou. Maya discusses overcoming trauma and racism, while telling a  coming-of-age story. Rated: 4.2/5

All About the Georgia RunOffs

 Hi everyone today I'll be discussing the Georgia Senate race runoffs, my goal is to educate my you all on this topic.  (picture credits: thenation.com) What is a Run-Off election? According to "Balletpedia.com" a runoff election is a second election held to determine a winner when no candidate in the first election met the required threshold for victory. This is a great definition a runoff election occurs when a candidate doesn't earn 50% of votes in the first general election.  (Picture Credits: Vox.com) Why and Where is this Runoff occurring? This senate runoff election is occurring in Georgia and the reason this is happening because in Georgia specifically the 50% vote rule counts for candidates. According to Vox.com 3 million Georgians got out and voted Tuesday, January 4th.  Who is running in the Senate race? There are 2 senate state runs the first is between republican Sen. David Purdue and democrat Jon Ossoff. The second is between republican Sen.  Kelly Loeff